Sunday 12 August 2007

[City2Surf.002] Thanks for your support

This post is about today's city2surf run and my fund raising activity. So far I have collected $110.00, thanks to everyone who kindly made a donation, if you forgotten about it, it's still available at this page.

When I arrived at city around 7:15am this morning, the main roads for the starting point were already closed.

It's still quiet in the early morning. Lucky I was there early and only have to wait about 10 min to get my chest bib. The queue was almost 5 times longer when I finished.

The next photo is around 8:30am while waiting for our turn to start. I was in the last group and have to wait for the 4th signal which is more than 20 min behind the 1st group (starts at 9am).

We finally started and the whole street was packed with people...

Someone tried to write something on the sky but I don't have time to wait for it to finish, wonder what's after "J"?

When the crowd pass the famous Coke sign at Kings Cross there were lots of people over the bridge.

The first 2KM seems to take forever...

These 2 firemen got the best view in town.

There was this rock band singing "eye of the tiger" high up in the air...

When I pass the 1st water station I was shocked by the scene. Plastic cups everywhere! Wonder how are they going to clean this up after the race.

We all have to slow down a bit as it's quite slippery if you stepped on the cups...

This group of young people wear yellow beaks on their face and dressed in green, don't know what is it but they seems to be Japanese.

This is the 6km area, I looked back and there were people everywhere...

It was really hot, and this guy tried to help with his garden hose. Luckily the water restriction was over...

This is another smaller band, with much better music...

Another water station, another big mess...

It was very hot and this guy was really brave (or was it his job?), dressed like a green dragon with long sleeves, pants and a long tail.

After the 13KM sign everybody runs even faster...

The beautiful Bondi beach is right in front of us, almost there...

Yes, the finish line!

My time card says "147.30 min", but I think I have to deduct at least 20 min as we have a late start. So I think it should be around 2 hours, not bad for my first run! Will check official result on Tuesday's paper.
After the finish line, I saw how they make the Gatorade drink: open up big bags of powder, pour into big tanks and add water... On the way I have seen how the volunteers serving this drink. At the water station with orange Gatorade, all their hands and fingers were in orange colour, at the one with yellow Gatorade, you can see lots of yellow fingers... I don't think I will let my family touch any of these drinks, water is the best, we don't need any of those chemicals and colours...

After the race, I went to China town with family for lunch, this bottleman was playing music on the street.

After 2 weeks practice plus a whole day's hard work, this is what I got: a city2surf cap, a small medal (everybody got one!), a chest bib, sore legs, some weight loss (I think), and lots of fun. Also, it's good material for my 6 years old to talk about it in her Tuesday's news day at school!

No comments: