Some information from the article:
- the slowest councils for determining development applications are Leichhardt, which takes an average 185 days, Strathfield (158 days), Canterbury (152 days), Ashfield (130 days) and Botany Bay (115 days).
- Eight councils took more than 100 days on average to deal with applications worth less than $100,000. Leichhardt topped the list again at 142 days, followed by Walgett (133 days), Oberon (127 days) and Auburn (124 days).
- some councils lost nine out of 10 court cases concerning DAs.
- Ku-ring-gai had the worst record, with 90 per cent of appeals against its decisions upheld in the Land and Environment Court. Close behind was Baulkham Hills (89 per cent upheld), Blue Mountains (85 per cent) and Wingecarribee (83 per cent).
- Not surprisingly, Ku-ring-gai council also had the highest reported legal costs - $1 million in 2005-06 - followed by Baulkham Hills ($989,994), North Sydney ($893,838), Pittwater ($875,446) and Leichhardt ($751,605).